Isabelle Campbell, wellbeing consultant, trainer and life coach spoke to members of Women on the Wharf during a lunch session hosted by S&P Global. The event was well attended and provided a good opportunity to network with member companies over lunch.
Key takeaways from Isabelle’s motivating talk included:
- Resilience is the ability and confidence to bounce back from adversity.
- Acquiring a set of tools is the key to build resilience.
- These tools include:
- The ability to experience both negative and positive thoughts at the same time. This avoids catastrophic thinking.
- The ability to tell a different story about a situation, which involves stretching oneself to get different facts.
- Employing question thinking which is both neutral and nonjudgmental.
- Practicing gratitude/kindness as scientific evidence as shown that this increases our serotonin levels and make one feel better about ourselves.
“I thought Isabelle was great and the topic was something that definitely resonated with me. Her delivery was superb and I liked the way she used simple every day examples and told stories personal to her. The lunch and the first venue where we congregated was great as we got to mingle and meet colleagues from different institutions. The venue for the talk was fine but a little cramped (I assume because the talk was so popular). If WoTW are going to organise similar talks with practical everyday issues such as resilience I would definitely attend.”
“Speaker: eloquent and well-presented. Her delivery was phenomenal and I ‘bought-in’ to her experiences and her suggestions. Content: for once I feel like I walked away with resources to practice / implement. Given that she only had an hour to convey this, she got across all this information clearly and with good examples. Venue & food: both great. It was a treat to walk 4 minutes to an excellent food & beverage spread. Organisation: great. I feel lucky to have opportunities like this and thank the organisers (as much as the speaker herself). Everything flowed really well, the women had a chance to network before-hand. It was very well executed. “
“It was truly motivating and I certainly left the room feeling more empowered and with an extra dose of optimism! The venue was perfect. The space used for our lunch was open and very bright so ideal for networking. Isabelle was authentic and approachable so she made the event really welcoming. I really love the fact she gave away easy to remember tips to better our lives one decision at a time.”